About the Programme
Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE) Kenya Chapter is a membership Organization and an affiliate of FAWE Pan African Regional Organization.
FAWE Kenya Chapter is therefore a member of the FAWE Network in Sub-Saharan Africa, working together with other 33 African countries to achieve equality and equity in education across the continent.
FAWE Kenya Chapter has a mandate to support girls and women to acquire education for development, and therefore envisions a society where gender parity and equality in education and training prevail.
To be able to accomplish its Mission and Vision FAWE Kenya has been given an opportunity by FAWE Regional Secretariat which is an agent of the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) in the UK to take part in nominating female students for Masters and PhD Degree programs.
However, the female students to be selected must be drawn from the FAWE Kenya Chapter membership.
The Commonwealth Scholarships are for students from developing Commonwealth countries for Master’s (one-year), PhD, and split-site PhD study in the UK. These scholarships are funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID). The prospectus and selection criteria, along with full details of the scholarships and information on how to apply are available for candidates on the Commission’s website at http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/applicants/.
Field(s) of study:
All subject areas are eligible for consideration, although the CSC’s selection criteria gives priority to those applications that demonstrate strong relevance to development.
The scholarships are targeted to Developing Commonwealth Countries but FAWE will concentrate only on the following member countries that are in the FAWE network.
In addition to the eligibility requirements outlined in the Scholarship Prospectus, http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/applicants/, FAWE Kenya will only nominate female candidates.
Priority shall be given to;
Candidates who have contributed to FAWE Kenya work, mission and vision in the past
Past FAWE Kenya beneficiaries /Alumni
Candidates that will contribute to the promotion of girl’s education and gender equity and equality in education.
Candidates with first degree in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics are highly encouraged to apply.
Candidates who in their application show commitment that they will contribute to FAWEK,s vision and mission within their communities upon completion of the course.
Please note that the deadline for candidates to submit their applications through the Commonwealth Scholarship Electronic Application System (EAS) is Wednesday 30th October 2019. Candidates’ nomination applications (hard copies) must also reach the FAWE Kenya Chapter Offices not later than Wednesday 30th October 2019.
For an application to be eligible for consideration, applicants must include the following supporting documents. Kindly send these documents online together with your application but not later than Wednesday 20th November 2019, 16.00 GMT
• Proof of citizenship or refugee status – uploaded to the online application system.
• Full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications including to-date transcripts for any qualifications you are currently studying (with certified translations if not in English) – uploaded to the online application system.
• References from at least two individuals –Submitted directly by the referees to the online application system (referees will be sent an email request).
• Supporting statement from a proposed supervisor in the UK from at least one of the institutions named on your application form_ submitted directly by your proposed supervisor to the online application system (supervisors will be sent an email request) –only applies for PHD Applicants.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure that her referees are able to complete the references by the deadline and that they receive the reference requests –Masters Applicants.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure that her referees and proposed supervisor(s) are able to complete the references and supporting statements by the deadline and that they receive the reference and statement requests- PHD Applicants.
The CSC will not accept supporting documentation submitted by nominating agencies or outside the online application system.
All applicants will be expected to have completed the CSC application form online by Wednesday 30th October 2019. Information on how to use the EAS, including detailed guides, is available at http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/masters-scholarships/ (for Masters) http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/phd-scholarships-least-developed-countries-and-fragile-states/(for PHD).
All nomination applications (hard copies) must be submitted to FAWE Kenya by Wednesday 30th October 2019.
• Please note that when applying online, applicants should select FAWE as nominating agent. Last year some applicants did not follow these instructions and therefore could not be considered as FAWE applicants. Please let us know if you need support in any way.
• Deadline for applications is Wednesday 30th October 2019 (16.00 GMT). The CSC will not accept any applications which are not submitted via the Electronic Application System (EAS) to the nominating agency in the candidate’s home country. All applications must be made through a nominating agency; CSC does not accept direct applications from the candidates.
• All applicants must submit the required supporting documentation directly to CSC